Monday, September 14, 2009

Sucky Weather Bites!!!!!!

GR&DF as you know we where having a yard/garage sale on Saturday. As you may or may not know here in San Francisco it never rains until December and then it can keep raining for about 3 months - that hasn't happened for a few years and we have had very dry winters - BUT winter is our Rainy Season!!!! Not September!!!! We have had week after week after week of dry sunny/foggy weather for months and months - and on the one Saturday it needs to be sunny or at the very least dry it rains like monsoon here!!!!! Not only was it raining in the morning but for hours before hand!! it started at around 3 or so in the morning with a big old fashioned thunder and lighting - rainy - hailing - night from hell!! It also never thunders/lightning here BTW. I grew up in the deep south and am very used to big electrical thunderstorms and do enjoy them - but here you never get any sky issues - We still tried to have the sale and did sell a few things but after a couple of hours of covering up and uncovering every time it started to pour we called it a day and pulled everything back into Dale's apartment. We will give is another shot this Saturday as it is supposed to be dry and hot - or at least hot for out here - the low 80's.

After the "no sale" garage sale clean up we went back home. I sat around feeling all pissed off and stitching a little and just watching the rain come and go!! I was not a happy camper by any stretch of the imagination!!!!!

Sunday morning came with and overcast sky - and more rain. In fact it was only supposed to rain on Sunday. We went out to breakfast to Eddies - the high point of the weekend... pancakes and link sausage...yummy!!!!! Then on to the Farmers Market in the Civic Center. This is the same farmers market that I get to on Wednesdays.
I took some snaps.... here is a one of City Hall -

- notice the grey sky...... and here are some random shots of the market......

- don't these look grand and I love the way that the carrots are all tied up in the back - and.....


these lovelies - I am not too sure what they are - bitter melon? or what you would do with them - boil, fry, poach, serve cold, shred - who knows.... If you know please let me know as I would love to try them!!


Aren't these squashes just gorgeous all tumbled together. We took home a ton of veggies and some beautiful brown organic eggs and of course some Kettle Korn - god knows I needed a treat after Saturday. We also stopped off at the Antique Mall we like to go to - didn't buy anything but we love to just look around. The rest of the day was spent watching movies and finishing off an exchange I will be getting into the mail tomorrow.

There you go - our less than perfect weekend - as I said before we are going to try again next Saturday... never say die!!! We will be watching the weather all week.......

Take care,
edgar

15 comments:

  1. Edgar, Pancakes AND kettle corn? That would have cheered me right up! Beautiful snaps, as always. Sorry about your sale and here's to good weather next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Edgar such a shame. It's like that in the UK though - try and plan an outdoor event such as a barbecue is hopeless. You should have whispered your plans so the weather didn't get to hear about them! Whisper: I hope it goes fine next weekend - sshh!

    Lovely pictures of the farmers market.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw Edgar - sorry for the rain - how disappointing! I forecast this weekend will be loverly and you will have many customers. Great pictures - I love squash and all that fall brings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too bad about your sale. I do hope when you find out about those prickly things you'll let us know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that you have perfect weather this Saturday and you make lots of sales! Beautiful shots of the market, and breakfast sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Edgar....what, no chocolate! I'm so sorry about your weekend I know you had such high hopes. It's such a bummer when that happens.
    Not to make you feel worse, but stop by my log and check out what I found over the weekend...I had you so in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a bummer! I swear sometimes the weather gods just have it out for one. :( Hope the sale goes better next weekend! Love your farmer's market pics!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It poured on my parents' yard sale too (in NJ). It was supposed to be the big annual event of the entire neighborhood of over 150 houses having yard/garage sales followed by a big block party. They tried to move it all to Sunday, but many people showed up on Saturday, so it was a two-day rainy mess-fest.
    Can't figure out those spiney cucumber-looking things. They actually look like some sort of threatening sea-creature to me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Edgar, I'm so sorry that your garage sale bit the big one this weekend...I bet it will be super wonderful weather this weekend and you'll have to take a dumptruck to the bank to deposit your money ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bitter melon with beef stir-fry. YUM. My mom used to make it with oyster & soya sauce. I've never tried. It definitely is an acquired taste though, but because I grew up with it, I crave it. Too bad my mom doesn't do much cooking anymore. You've just made me v hungry!

    I hope you get better weather soon. I think your bad weather just floated north up the coast and we just got some today!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your pictures of the farmers market :)

    Sorry about the disappointing weather. I hope you will have better weather this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sorry about your "no sale"! That sucks! Love the pics, those are some great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so sorry /edgar to hear of your misfortune with the rain.I have had sales with it raining too.I feel for ya!Next weekend will probably be better. On another note though, congratulations for winning the Shepherd's Bush chart! That's great! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Edgar, so sorry you had rain. i am keeping my toes crossed for better weather next weekend for you. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. So sorry about the weather, but
    it sounds like my luck exactly!
    I envy the beautiful farmer's market-- so fresh!
    Your finished piece is a work of art, a true heirloom.
    I will be anxiously awaiting photos
    of your 'second garage sale'!!

    ReplyDelete

“In every end, there is also a beginning.”

 Gentle Friends, I finished the sampler last night and here's a snaperooo... Village Square Sampler from Samplers Remembered   1/8 - 3/2...