Thursday, August 12, 2010

A 2nd Framed Piece, Some Market Snaps and a Good Flick

Gentle Readers and Dear Friends - (I think I'll write that out from now on...) I do thank you all for the kind comments about the 1st framed piece I posted yesterday. I was really pleased in the way that little sampler turned out and it looks super on the "wall."

Today's piece is another sampler - I remember the enjoyment of the stitching of this piece and how quickly it worked up and came together. Here is a snap of it hanging..... hence the odd angle, which also helps with no hot spot from the flash.

It is the 5 piece mystery sampler from those super-designers - Barb and Alma at Black Bird designs - and what a wonderful job they did with pulling together this piece from the Loose Feathers charts. I did use the recommended floss on a piece of linen I already had - Here is a close up of the frame -

I took a few close ups, but the blue/grey cast this frame has does not really show - but the blue/grey in the frame matches the actual stitching - oh well, you can see that it is a bit distressed and has a little detail running along the inside against the stitching.

Yesterday was my weekly visit to the Farmers Market - the weather was less than bright and sunny - it was very overcast, windy and the Marine Layer (Fog) was so heavy it was actually like a drizzly rain - I thought it was perfect!! I persevered and picked up some things and have a few snaps...

This is a new vendor to the market - a nice Honey stand with some tasty wares.....


Squash blossoms you hardly ever see and where just beautifully fresh and golden


and these great carrots and beets - beautifully rich colours - they usually don't come to market for another month or so and where nice to see.

The flicker last night ended up being a very good one - IMHO - a great Western Noir film - as you know the Western Genre is not my usual cup o' tea - but the cast was superior so I took a chance and put it in the queue. The film was "Pursued" - 1947 - starring Robert Mitchum, Theresa Wright, Judith Anderson, Dean Jagger and Alan Hale. Although this is a "western" film it feels and is all Noir. The story is told in flashback and builds to a great climax - although the story seems disjointed - if you stick with it there is a payoff. The cinematography is superb - shot by James Wong Howe in New Mexico the wasted and barren outdoor scenes and gorgeous landscape rock formations and buttes set the mood as do the deep dimly lit interior shots - where the players play out revenge and hate. I had never heard of this film but got it through Netflix because of Robert Mitchum - this was his first real leading role in an A film - and he was a third choice - behind Montgomery Cliff and Kirk Douglas. I really enjoyed Theresa Wright and love this quote from another reviewer- she was stunning as Mitchum's foster-sister-turned-object-of-lust-turned-true-love-turned-would-be-executioner-turned-true love again!! What a woman!! I would highly recommend this super suspense film.

There you go sports fans. Thanks again for stopping by, do come again!!

Take care,
edgar

26 comments:

  1. Your framed piece came out beautifully! Love the frame you chose for it! The farmer's market pics are wonderful as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sampler! And I haven't seen squash blossoms since I was a little girl! (and THAT was a long time ago! LOL) My grandmother used to cook those up and they were wonderful!! Thanks for triggering the great memory!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulos framed piece, Edgar! There is a LOT of stitching in that piece and it is certainly beautiful! Your market looks like such a great place!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Blackbird piece framed. I've liked that one for ages but for some reason don't want to stitch it. Your choice of frame really sets it off.
    Ann in Scotland.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Squash blossoms! Edgar, I am sooo jealous! Have you ever dipped them in batter and fried them? Mmmmm...

    Lovely stitching and framing, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both your framed pieces are gorgeous!!!! I especially love the BBD piece :-).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful framing! I think it's the first one that I've seen totally finished.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's that BBD Mystery again! What a stunner! I'm getting obsessed with this piece-and it just seems I'm seeing it everywhere I go in blogland! I think the frame looks terrific; and also like it will work nicely alongside some of the others you've shown from your saleing.

    So, since I'm thinking about how I want to stitch mine someday (yeah, right; gotta round up supplies first!), what count linen did you use? And how big did it make the finish?--It looks (beautifully) enormous!

    I don't know that I've ever seen squash blossoms--nice! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think one of the things on my "bucket list" is to just go spend a week-end rolling around in all the loveliness of the BBD studios. Can you imagine how sweet that would be? Your fine stitching of their pieces always adds to my enjoyment. You have quite a flair for always picking just the right frame for the right piece.
    The market pics were great. I just love fresh beets - yummy!!
    If you get the chance, send us some of that marine layer, please??? We're still sweltering in the Florda brutality of August...
    The description of Theresa Wright's role - sounds like my days of balancing being a wife and mom! LOLOLOL :)
    Montgomery Clift is one of my favorite movie fella's. "A Place in the Sun" was an amazing piece of film. So sad that his life had such a long, tragic ending.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Squash blossoms?! For $3?! That's worth me taking the day off work and driving to the market! I never see them at the markets near me.

    Your mystery sampler looks fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful frame for your BBD piece. Just love it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. framed piece is beautiful. Enjoyed seeing the pictures from the farmers market.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another beautiful framing outcome!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the Mystery Sampler. It is such a beautiful design. I love the frame you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Another wonderful sampler and frame! You have such a good eye. The farmers' market sounds like such a cool place!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your Mystery sampler is absolutely gorgeous! I don't like okra but I love squash blossoms.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous sampler, Edgar! I love the frame you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh how I LOVE samplers!
    It's beautiful Edgar...you should be very proud.
    I am so envious of your farmers market. When I lived in Pennsylvania we had one every Wednesday that I took for granted. I'm in PA right now and will go to it when I go to visit with my friends and family next week!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is beautiful! Love the framing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous piece and the frame is wonderful!! I envy your weather- people are actually wearing jackets there! Here it has been in the 90's with heat indexes above 100.. but you've lived in NC, you know. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your pieces look great! Love the frames!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Another gorgeous framed sampler! I will definitely have to give Michael's a chance!

    I always enjoy your market shots.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The "For The Birds" piece turned out beautifully :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dear Edgar, I reallyenjoy reading your blog. Your stitching is amazing. I am so glad that I finally know what GR & DF stands for. I was always trying to guess. Thanks for all the great pictures and recipes too! Beth N. (Tarpon Springs, Florida)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Edgar, my dear, seeing your BBD sampler all framed up reminded me of why I collected all those designs, for I loved, loved, loved it while watching yours come to life and now, all duded up....I want it too all over again!
    BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete

“In every end, there is also a beginning.”

 Gentle Friends, I finished the sampler last night and here's a snaperooo... Village Square Sampler from Samplers Remembered   1/8 - 3/2...