Wednesday, September 15, 2010

And now its Wednesday

GR&DF not too much going on this week - which I think is a good thing. I like doing the same things - going to the same places - I LIKE ROUTINE!! I do need to shake it up or do unusual stuff. Now, don't get me wrong, I like different things and doing and going, but the old and familiar is sweet and restive to this cranky old man!!

With that all said - yesterday afternoon and evening followed the same as many before - the who-hounds went out to do their business - they got cookies - they got dinner. I made up some burgers and we trotted down to the pool and swam around while dinner grilled away. It was a lovely late afternoon - the fog pouring over Twin Peaks with cool breezes and bright sunshine. By night fall we where completely fogged in and misty cold.

The film last night was one I found through Netflix - you can search the titles of films by the actors. While looking through the film listings for Donald Crisp (a character actor I really like) I found a film I had never heard of - "Greyfriars Bobby" - 1961 - starring Donald Crisp and Laurence Naismith. A Disney film based on a true story of a dog. You know how I am about dogs and dogs in films - how could it be bad. The basic story surrounds a little Skye Terrier called "Greyfriars Bobby" who is completely dedicated to his owner a elderly shepherd called Old Jock. Well, Old Jock is let go from his position on a sheep farm and goes to Edinburgh. He promptly dies of pneumonia. The rest of the film is Bobby sleeping in the Kirk Yard on Old Jocks grave, being taken care of by the children and Tavern owner near the Greyfriars. That is the Disney twist on the story - which is almost true to the original. There is a statue to this little dog and memorial standing in Edinburgh for this little dog. So you are forewarned - the film tugs and rips at the heart strings and you will need some tissue. A lovely little film at about 80 mins. It has held up well and is a pleasure to watch - even I have to give credit to the children in the film as very believable without being "cute" or having "affectations." A great family film you will not have to worry about showing to the whole family.

After the film we watched the last two episodes of Glee - can't wait for the new season to start. My only question is why are there are about a bazillion breaks an 10 bazillion ads - you
have 4 mins of show and then 10 commercials per break. I hope this good show isn't killed by too many commercials!!

There you sports fans. Thanks for stopping by - do come again.

Take care,
edgar

5 comments:

  1. I do am a fan of routine. So I totally know what you mean!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Edgar, finally was able to sit and get caught up with your blog posts. Congrats to Nancy - she lives about 4/5 hours away and is a great gal. Love the recipes that you shared and the sugar and creamer you found. The "Acorn" piece is just darling love how it is finished. Wish I had remembered to pull out my camera when we got together - but I was so excited to meet you.

    Everyone, if you read this - Edgar is just super wonderful and so goodlooking and was a pleasure to spend time with.

    Well, off to try to catch up with other blog readings - once again I am way behind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Edgar, I have seen that statue in Edinburgh and it's so charming. Thanks for bringing back some nice memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so enjoy reading your movie reviews. And upon your recommendation, I got Bell Book and Candle from Netflix (came today)so will watch it tomorrow night as I have to work tonight.

    Have you ever written anything for publication? You have such a way with words and can get your ideas across expertly. Even without your pictures (which I thoroughly enjoy) I have such a clear picture in my mind of what you are describing.

    Yikes! Better get off this computer and get to work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Routines are good unless something really really good comes along. Happy Wednesday all and thank you for such interesting info about the old films I know you have broguht many good films back into my mind and I find myself thinking about ordering them myself.

    ReplyDelete

“In every end, there is also a beginning.”

 Gentle Friends, I finished the sampler last night and here's a snaperooo... Village Square Sampler from Samplers Remembered   1/8 - 3/2...