Tuesday, September 21, 2010

A Couple of Films

GR&DF - I am so pleased that so many are taking part in my upcoming Birthday Drawing!! Thank you so much!! There is still lots of time to enter - just click HERE and post a comment to enter - so easy.

Not very much going on - I finished up the stitching for my Hallowe'en Exchange piece, now I need to "finish" finish the piece and off it will fly to its new home.

I wanted to mention a couple of films that I have recently seen. First up would be "Blood on the Sun" - 1945 - starring James Cagney and Sylvia Sydney. I liked this review of the film from IMBD so here goes..... "Jimmy Cagney is like a firecracker in this movie, set in pre-WWII Japan. In some ways it's a cross between Casablanca and the Maltese Falcon and sometimes its silly (e.g. white actors in Japanese makeup), but its one of the most entertaining movies of its era. It reminds you how much of a talent James Cagney was - he carries the picture. There are also excellent character performances by Wallace Ford and Porter Hall. Even Sylvia Sydney as an unconvincing half Chinese vixen has some good moments."

The second film is "A Hole in the Head" - 1959 - starring Frank Sinatra, Edward G Robinson, Eleanor Parker, Carolyn Jones, Thelma Ritter and Keenan Wynn. I had never seen his film before getting it through Netflix - and was pleasantly surprised at how nice it was. Being completely character driven was nice and the performance's where very good. The movie is set in a less than perfect hotel in Miami Beach called "The Garden of Eden." This hotel is run by a dreamer, Sinatra - who is about to loose the place due to lack of funds to pay the mortgage. He goes to his wealthy brother played by Robinson - who will give him the money with conditions - either give up his 12 year old son or at least "get married to nice quiet little woman." Directed by Frank Capra you have a nice ending without to much schmaltz.

There you go sports fans. Thank again for stopping by, do come again!!

Take care,
edgar

7 comments:

  1. You forgot to mention that Hole in the Head has some great songs, like High Hopes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved A Hole In The Head when I saw it when I was a kid. And now all that's going through my brain is High Hopes. Thanks for reminding me of it. If you go to my blog you can see a photo of Frank Sinatra with my late father.
    Lots of Love
    Patti xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Edgar now you've got me humming "High Hopes" to myself at work this afternoon. I have seen A Hole in the Head many times especially as a kid - seemed like one of those late-night movies they were always running and my mom would make us watch anything with "Frankie" in it of course. :) Another Frank favorite is On the Town with Gene Kelly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not familiar with either of these films so now I have some good one to look for. Thanks for the reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just loved the movie 'Hole in the Head', it was a fun one for me to watch as an adult, since I had seen it many times as a child. Especially since I lived in Miami when I saw it as an adult.

    Have a great day -- Roberta

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy cow Edgar! Look at all those follwers you have now! I have to say that I got a little bit of a chuckle out of the name of the Sinatra film , considering his supposed connection to the mob. Lame I know!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Just what makes that little old ant..." Add me to the High Hopes bunch! I remember seeing this when I was a kid, some late night weekend movie, and I loved it. Still love it...OK now I have to find it in my movie collection!

    ReplyDelete

“In every end, there is also a beginning.”

 Gentle Friends, I finished the sampler last night and here's a snaperooo... Village Square Sampler from Samplers Remembered   1/8 - 3/2...