Friday, September 10, 2010

Friday Wrap Up

GR&DF - Bravo!! I do like it when all are in agreement regarding using things we have - and not saving for that special occasion or for company. We are all special and what better "company" than you and your family at table!! I was sorry to not post yesterday - it was not what I planned - I had panned to post but just later than usual. What happened was I had to visit the local DMV to renew my totally expired drivers license. I arrived at the DMV at 6:45 am - it opens at 8 am - thinking I would be there by myself and first in line getting there that early. When I got there and got in line I was #5 - I just couldn't believe that others had beat me to the line, it being so early. After the hour or so wait DMV opened up at 8:06 am and I got to window #6. I explained what was going on to the clerk. Then she had to find out about a ticket that was showing on the computer - from over 10 years ago for a broken tail light - since it had been such along time she had to call Sacramento to dig around in the old records to make sure that it had been paid - her computer info showed it as still unpaid. After 45 mins waiting for a return call - and finding that , yes, I had paid the ticket (- I told her I had -) I then had to retake the written test - so into another line. After line standing some more I eventually passed the exam and was out the door - just 3+ short hours after walking in - which put me super late to work - and did not allow me time to post on the Blog. The DMV couldn't have been nicer - it was just the extremely long wait in all the lines that was a downer. So to reward myself for all that wait time I got an extra delicious lunch.....

I just love Reuben's - and over at Tony Baloney's they make a really tasty one!!

Now - on to more interesting things - after work on Wednesday I trotted myself over to the Marriott to meet up with Roberta again and do some looking around and shopping at the EGA "mall" and Exhibit areas. I was blown away by the stitched pieces on exhibit - (there was no photography allowed anywhere in any exhibit area - so I have no snaps of nothing from the exhibits) and there was an additional exhibit of antique Italian needlework that left me without words. I also saw the needle projects and classes for next years Symposium that is to be in Naples, Florida - there was some gorgeous pieces and the classes should be fun.

At the shopping area I picked up a few things - the one thing I can show you is....

The annual ornament edition. You know that some years are better than others for this edition -and this year I am loving so many of the ornaments - this is a total winner!!

In the comments - Margaret asked about my mixer - it is a Kitchen Aid 610 professional Bowl Lift Stand Mixer. I have had this for a few years and looking at the current colours I think that the Nickel-Pearl comes the closest. I love this mixer - it is heavy duty and works a dream!! Before I had this I was burning out hand mixers almost monthly as they just did not hold up to my abuse. It has the 6 quart bowl.

On the way home yesterday we stopped in the Mission to pick up some fruit and bakery stuff. At La Victoria the cookie jars were full....

...and, this great advertisement was plastered up....

We got hooked on Glee when Rico borrowed the first part of season one from a friend. We burned through those DVD's and now can't get enough. The new season is soon!!

I think that about wraps it up for the week.
Thank you again for stopping by and for you super comments!!! Have a great weekend!

Take care,
edgar

16 comments:

  1. Mmmm, that Rueben looks wonderful! It's my favorite sandwich!

    We're Glee addicts at my house too! I loved it when my 7 year old little man couldn't get Defying Gravity out of his head!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. From one Glee fan to another,

    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you deserved that Reuben sandwich -- I love Reubens, and after anything involving the DMV, you need a good reward! lol! My sympathies and congratulations for surviving. :D

    Thank you for answering my question about the mixer! I'm going to have to make a decision about whether I can spring for the money on the level of mixer you have or just to go for the mixer that's one level lower. I'm also going to have to decide whether this will be a present my DH will love. lol!

    I have a feeling I need to watch Glee......

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just want to know if the cookie jars remained full when you left? You certainly deserved a cookie after your DMV experience. But I gotta ask, what did WE learn about allowing our license expire? Okay, just call me your friendly Jewish mother and geti it over with!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glee = love! Why couldn't they have had glee where I went to school? I think I would have been in heaven.

    My friend is trying to renew her license too and she says she can't even get an appointment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There used to be a hole in the wall place that was run by Russian emigrees. They served up a reubin that had at least 2 inches of the best corned beef you have ever tasted and tons of saurkraut. Makes my mouth water just remembering! I too got hooked on Glee after just one show.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another Rueben fan here - the only way I get to have saurkraut.

    On the mixer question, I have the Prof 5 Kitchen Aid and love it as well. It puts up with much mixing during the year, and then I make several hundred dozen cookies at Christmas which it allows me to do.

    I am very impressed that you could come out of a 3 hour visit to the DMV with nice words to say about the people. Cool Beans.

    I also agree with you on the Christmas ornament issue - many to stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Reubens, too, except with mustard instead of Russian dressing. We are also huge Glee fans at my house. My daughter has been counting down the days until the new season starts.

    I will definitely be stitching the sock monkey ornament. My grandmother made sock monkeys for each of her grandkids and great-grandkids for as long as she was able. That ornament just makes me smile remembering her.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Last year when I had to renew my license, I made an appointment and only had to wait a half hour. I was very happy.

    There are Glee addicts at my house too. Have the DVD's and CD's also. I made sure I didn't have to work on the opening night of Glee's new season.

    I thought of you when I heard about the explosion and terrible fire in the San Fran area. I can't even imagine how awful that was.

    Have a safe weekend and prayers for those lost on 9/11.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Edgar, I know nothing about CA as I have never been there. But I have heard about the explosion in the San Francisco area and immediately thought of you. I hope all is well with you, your family and friends. I'm praying.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't wait to pick up my copy of the ornament edition.

    Those jars of cookies are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Edgar, So glad you were not affected by the fire in San Fran. I guess many of us think of you when we hear SF in the news.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so glad to see you on the web, Edgar. The news (here in MI) talked about the fires/gas explosion there all day today and I wondered if you were all find-n-dandy. Your lunch looks absolutely delicish! Ruben is one of my favorite lunch dates! LOL Isn't the EGA exhibits to die for - I have been to regional exhibits and love them! Such talent. Enjoy your weekend - and don't drool over the JCS issue - I received mine in the mail this week and have fallen asleep each night reading and dreaming of ornaments to stitch!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Have a wonderful, restful, stitchy weekend! Your sandwich looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your trip to the DMV sounds like a nightmare, but now it's all in the past and you can drive worry free! Ruebens are the best aren't they, and yours looks delicious!

    I'm glad you had such a nice time with Roberta! I envy the two of you. Hooray for you getting the ornament issue of JCS. I went looking for it today, but it isn't out in the stores yet. Guess I'll have to wait awhile, but these issues are always worth it.

    Have a fantastic weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Edgar, my first thought was of you when I heard of the explosion yesterday but saw it was suburbs and I'm thinking you are in the city. I hope you were not affected but it. How awful! My license expires soon, but you can renew online in VA as long as it doesn't expire. I love my KA too and have bought one for each of my older daughters, most recently a green one as a wedding gift. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

“In every end, there is also a beginning.”

 Gentle Friends, I finished the sampler last night and here's a snaperooo... Village Square Sampler from Samplers Remembered   1/8 - 3/2...