Tuesday, March 8, 2011

More Weekend Snaps and Some Flicks

Gentle Readers and Dear Friends I do thank you so very much for all the kind comments about the yesterdays weekend post. I love seeing the sampler hanging in the front hall. It seems to be in a happy spot. I had a couple of emails asking about other stitched pieces I might have passed on at Sales. I do pass on many stitched pieces for various reason - not really something I like, not stitched well, in poor condition, all sorts of reasons. There are lots of things I just can not give house room to so I leave them where they are for somebody else. I also do not get to all the Estate sales. Living here in the city I do not leave it to visit sales in other towns in the Bay area. We have 5 or 6 Estate Sale Companies that run the sales so there is usually a good assortment of them to visit. I also usually wrap up my "saleing" by the early afternoon so that I can get in some stitching or just get to some chores done around the house. Heaven knows I have a pile of stuff I live with so that if I never bought another thing or visited another sale I wouldn't be living in an empty house. I think it is the chase that I really enjoy and the sifting and looking and finding that next special something - or that next super de duper bargain. That's what keeps me interested and driving around to all the new Estate and Garage Sales every Saturday.
__________

I wanted to post a couple of snaps from Saturday that I didn't get up yesterday. I got some new mural snaps that I think are interesting and do hope you will enjoy them......Blogger is not letting me load this morning - how odd - sorry.
__________

I caught some flickers this weekend - The first is "99 River Street" - 1953 - starring John Payne, Evelyn Keyes and Brad Dexter. A really good Noir Film of the "twist around every corner that keep you guessing what will happen next" kind. I really enjoyed this flick and thought all the characters where played for everything they where worth. John Payne is often over looked in films but this was a great roll for him - playing an ex-boxer trying to find his cheating wife's killer - his side kick looking is an aspiring actress of the prerequisite "tight sweater" type (hubba, hubba) This film is not on official DVD - but I had a copy on pirated DVD to watch.  TCM (best channel ever!!) does show it occasionally and at 83 mins well worth a look.


John Payne - 19112- 1989

The second film was last nights Netflix Pic - "Tom and Viv" - 1994 - starring Willem Dafoe, Miranda Richardson, Rosemary Harris and Tim Dutton.  This Bio pic about the married life of T.S. Elliot was a little on the long side but well done.  Filmed in many of the actual places they lived the look of the film was excellent.  I really enjoyed Richardson's performance - in fact I like all her performances and cannot think of one I do not like - she can be seen in these good films - "Empire of the Sun," "Enchanted April," "The Crying Game" and "Sleepy Hollow."  All really good films.  Why not have a Miranda Movie Night!!  You wont regret it!!

That's about it for today sports fans.  Thanks for stopping by - do come again.  Maybe next time Blogger will let me post a snap!  Don't forget to throw in for the March Gift-a-way - click HERE to post an entry comment.

Take care,
edgar

4 comments:

  1. I had trouble getting blogger to let me post pics too! It eventually gave in but it was frustrating!

    I didn't know there was a movie about TS Eliot's married life. Interesting. Have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to watch the film next time it's on TCM as it sounds good.

    No stitching news?

    Happy Stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Enchanted April. It is one I turn to when I'm feeling down for a great mood boost!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Sleepy Hollow! I like the idea of a Miranda night.

    I would love to go to the Estate sales with you, it sounds like a nice pastime.... you get exercise, you get out and about and sometimes you find cool stuff! I am more of a looker than buyer though, i don't have the vestige of packrat in me.

    ReplyDelete

A Damp Weekend

 Gentle Friends, still stitching away on Sarah, and here's a snaperoo... ... I like all the little bits of "wonky" that are pa...