Wednesday, May 18, 2011

A Couple of Flickers

Gentle Readers and Dear Friends your comments where just super  for yesterday post and I do thank you for them and all the time you spent leaving them.  I am sorry to make mouths water and tummies grumble but I couldn't leave out the food snaps.  I love looking at other folks food snaps to see what is going on in the culinary world - just like I so enjoy seeing all the stitching progress and finishes. 
__________

Over the weekend I inflicted a few flickeroos on the Baby Sister and so today I will mention a couple.

First up will be "The Children of Huang Shi" - 2008 - starring - Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Radha Mitchel, Yun-Fat Chow and Michelle Yeoh.  In a nutshell the story revolves around a British journalist who with the help of an Australian nurse helps to save a group of orphaned children during the Japanese occupation of China in 1938.  A beautifully shot film with some really tough scenes to watch. 




We really enjoyed this film . 
It reminded me of the Ingrid Bergman film "The Inn of the Sixth Happiness" - 1958.
__________

The second film was part of my ongoing Shirley Temple-fest.  What came was a later film called "The Blue Bird" - 1940 - a technicolor fantasy film that is closely related to the Wizard of Oz in theme - there's no place like home or the happiness you chase you can find right in your own back yard.  With a stellar cast that included Spring Byington, Nigel Bruce, Gale Sondergaard, Jessie Ralph and Laura Hope Crews.  The story revolves around two children who are looking for the Bluebird of Happiness and are led through the past , present a future looking for it.  Shirley is a bit on the bratty spoiled side - a break from her earlier films - but even at 12 years old she carries the film.  An interesting piece of film released at the beginning of WWII - if you like Shirley and haven't seen the film I would encourage you to get a copy and watch it.




There you go sports fans - thanks for stopping by do come again!!

Take care,
edgar

9 comments:

  1. Edgar: I must say I have been watching more movies lately due to our journeling every week, I am so happy about this, it seems no matter how much I scan the internet and movie shelves you seem to find the best, I am a BIG John Wayne fan (I own almost everyone of his movies) I have been to his home where he and his family lived when he was young a very modest home, I even have been blessed with a Tiger Eye ring that belonged to him a friend of ours was one of his stunt men, Jack passed the ring on to me because I just adored the man John Wayne, thank heaven for the movies a person can so get lost in the thrill of watching.
    I am also a big fan of futuristic movies, I watched Tron on my big screen it was so great, well I have gabbed enough.
    Blessings to you Rico and the kids.
    Catherine
    diamondc

    ReplyDelete
  2. sent you an email about Emli's and sheepish designs-she has them all -no shortage EVERYONE CAN HAVE THEM

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've not seen The BlueBird, but that poster you've shown for it is so fantastic that now I want to see it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for the reviews! I love movies. Hope to go see the one out Bridesmaids, I heard it is gut busting funny!

    I love old movies too. My hubs loves John Wayne movies too or any westerns. I like chic flicks. LOl

    ReplyDelete
  5. How was the Shirley Temple version compared to the Elizabeth Taylor version? I understand the Shirley Temple version was not very popular because Shirley wasn't all sugar and sweetness in it. Isn't that called acting?

    ReplyDelete
  6. oo I remember watching the Shirley Temple film when I was younger and thought it was good then and have watched the Inn of the 6th happiness too many many moons ago :0 It is nice to be reminded of them thanks :) love mouse xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Edgar! I love "The Inn of the Sixth Happiness" so will have to watch this movie, and --Shirley Temple--into my queue also! Thanks for the reviews! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Shirley temple!! I am gonna have to see The Blubird now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I first saw Inn of the 6th Happiness back in high school and loved it. As with most films I really like I tend to watch every time I see it is on.

    ReplyDelete

It's Spring!!

Gentle Friends, a lovely variation of Vivaldis's first movement of Spring....  bright and cheerful........ ________________ The year mov...