Monday, May 16, 2011

A Package Arrived and Some Thrifty Finds

Gentle Readers and Dear Friends it is a wonderful Monday morning here in SF for many reasons!!  First and foremost was the wonderful visit we had with just had with my sister.  She flew down from Portland and spent the last few days relaxing and decompressing from her very hectic "motherly" life - and all we did was fun stuff!!  Running all over the city, eating out and then laying around like great lumps watching films.  Who could ask for anything better.  Secondly, on this cool Monday I find that my little Blog has passed the 500 Follower mark - and now I  actually have 502 followers - you love me, you really love me!!  I am having my Sally Field flash back - reveling in the moment and dancing a jig!!  Thirdly, I did quite a bit of stitching over the past few days and finished up my HOE PS Exchange - or at least I have finished up the stitching part.  I just love being ahead of the game and not behind playing catch up.
__________

... and the fourth thing, and what I will lead off with this morning.....I came and found a wonderful email from sweet Carolyn  - she received the package I sent her for winning the 4th Blogoversary drawing.  Her Blog is "...just one more stitch" and she has posted a  couple of snaps.  I took a snap of the stitched piece, but forgot to get one of the goodies.  You can click on over to Carolyn's Blog to see them.  But, here is a snap of the piece I made....


The pattern is a Blackbird Design and I do love me some BBD!!  It is from an older booklet called "With Needle and Thread."  I have loved this little sampler for the longest time, as I told Carolyn, and just knew this was the right time to stitch it up.  I used the recommended WDW floss and stitched it up on a piece of 36ct something or other form the stash heap.  The box I painted using a mixture of three colours - I wanted it to be dark but with undertones of the red/raspberry colour.  It was a joy to stitch and now it has a wonderful place to live.
__________

I will save the main weekend post until tomorrow as I have come back to a pile of work on my desk.  I did want to post a snap of my Thrift Store Finds.  There were no Estate Sales but we did make it to a few Consignment/Thrift/2nd hand Stores.  I found these things.....


From the upper left...  I found two super Victorian frames - for less that $2 for both, the metal thing is a tortilla press, I also found a great older Oregon plate, and a lovely small Nippon ware hand painted plate c1880.  I do love me some Paula and this little Christmas book was a buck so how could I pass.  I found a couple of other things but they are meant for others so I can't show them here.  

We had a great time running around over the weekend and there will be a post about that in the morning.
_________

There you go sports fans.  I do thank you all for stopping by and for your great comments.  Do stop back by again!!  Hope your weekend was as super de duper as mine!!

Take care,
edgar


18 comments:

  1. Your gift for Carolyn is just lovely Edgar! Lucky Carolyn! I always love to see your weekend finds. You always find some neat items. Hope you are putting that linen that you won from my Blogoversary to good use! Give the pups a hug from me and a hello to Rico!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you gave your "motherly" sister a chance to decompress ... anyone with teens [even resonably good and decent kids, as I am sure hers are]needs that every so often. How I survived my childrens' teens without becoming insane and/or homicidal is one of my life's little mysteries. You are a good man, Edgar, to take the edge off your sister's stress. I look forward to hearing the saga of the whole weekend.

    I am curious, what do you do with all your thrift store/estate sale finds, especially the china? I know I display some of my depression glass but I actually use most of it at table. Do you do the same?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the givaway gifts you are so nice to have a givaway with such nice things.
    I love your finds I try to find frames like the very old kind but they are so expensive, at Joanns or Michaels, I just pop over to the thrift stores, in fact I am going to a couple today after coffee.
    I am so glad you had a great time with your sister, family is so important.
    Blessings
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the box you stitched up and painted for Carolyn. I bet she was happy as could be when she got this lovely in her mailbox. Can't wait to hear what weekend adventures you and Sister had fun doing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The giveaway prize is gorgeous! You always do such amazing work. Love the estate finds -- you always seem to manage some good stuff. Glad you had fun with your sister over the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great finish on that gift! I hit some 2nd hand stores yesterday and found some xs booklets that I turn around and sell on eBay. And I always look for frames as I sometimes frame my small stitching. Can't wait to see some pics of where you all went to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh!! You did an amazing job on the giveaway! Lucky Carolyn! Beautiful work.

    Love the thrifty finds!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your frames Edgar! You're very lucky to have found them because I'm on the hunt for good frames and I don't know if its just bad luck, but I can't seem to find any good ones. I don't think Vancouver has the best selection of frames. Lovely gift you made too! It's so pretty

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Edgar, sounds like the best of weekends! and not to mention those great finds, too! I'm so looking forward to hearing more. No wonder you have so many followers, your posts are always so interesting. :)
    The sampler you sent Carolyn is just so pretty.I know she is thrilled to bits with her win. Bye for now, Sandy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes we love you!Didn't you know that?And I love your thrift store finds,too!AriadnefromGreece!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That gift for Carolyn is absolutely wonderful Edgar. She is one lucky girl to receive that from you.

    Glad that you had a great time with your sister and love all your Thrift Store Finds. It's like hunting for treasure when you go to places like that!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your blogoversary gift to Carolyn is beautiful. Sounds like you amd your sister had a great time. I am sure she needed it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The stitching is beautiful. I also love a good bargin...especially Victorian items...I feel at times that I was born in the wrong century...lol I live in an old 2 story farm house...it is fun to make and purchase quaint little items. Glad to hear you had a great time with your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Edgar, this is great and my favorite thing about it is the nice colour you custom-mixed for the box (this might be because I am ALL ABOUT paint this month with adding a lil priming, painting, and refinishing to our woeful Rented Apartment's Windowless Kitchen.

    But, the box you gave me (with a Fox! :D) is still my favorite. (=`.~=)(<--This emoticon is supposed to be a fox; see his equal whiskers, slanty eye, pointy nose, and winking eye? And more whiskers? Yup. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely finds Edgar. And I'm so glad you had such a nice weekend. It sounds wonderful. I saw Carolyn's blog earlier, and I know she loved everything you got her. Good job!! Keep up the good work! Oh, and grats on having five hundred followers. I don't even have a tenth of that!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oooh. Cool tortilla press. I wonder if that would work when I make quesadillas? I currently use cast iron on top to make them press nicely flat and cook a little more quickly. I'm glad you had a wonderful weekend. Congrats on the huge crowd of followers! I am proud to be one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad you had such a fun time with your sister! What could be better than eating out and watching movies?

    You stitched such a beautiful gift for Carolyn - she must be thrilled! I love your thrifty finds - I was wondering what the tortilla press was!

    Congratulations on 502 followers!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The box you sent to Carolyn is absolutely gorgeous. She certainly is one lucky lady! How did you finish the inside?

    ReplyDelete

Flowers and Fruit

 Gentle Friends, I wrapped up the centre square stitching... here's a snaperooo... ... I thought about straightening up the baskets and ...