Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Weekend Posting and Tortilla Press

Gentle Readers and Dear Friends thank you so much for your overwhelming kind comments regarding my 4th Blogoversary Gift-a-way.  I so enjoyed them and emails that you wrote.  I do like this stitching stuff and gifting it away is a big part of it - we all have way to many finished things stacking up - or at least I have in my completed box - finished things waiting for frames.  The smaller things that quickly stitch up are so nice for gifts and I do love knowing that the things I make and send off into the world go to good homes.  Now I need to focus on my PIF - I am running out of time since they a due out by this October.....  the clock is ticking.
__________

Now to the weekend stuff.......


The weekend started off Thursday after work with a quick run down to South SF to the airport to pick up the baby sister - and of course the rare occasion that United is on time is almost nonexistent and last Thursday they did the unheard of and where actually early - so of course the traffic was stupid crazy so that slowed us down.  But, it all worked out and she was waiting for us to just swoop in - she jumped in the car and we where off.....

Driving back to the city we talked about what we would do for dinner and decided on delicious sushi - both she and I love the stuff - and they have other Japanese type things so Rico could have a Bento box of chicken katsu and vegetable tempura.  There are loads of sushi places in SF to choose from - we drove over to Kitaro a place I've talked about here frequently.  You can click HERE and go to the site to look at the menu.
__________

Friday we spent walking around the Haight/Ashbury area.


There are lots of shops and cafes and places to look at and things to see.  
Here is one of the more elaborately painted walls.....


she is a great Medusa mural - on the side of a dress shop.

We also stopped at a really great knitting shop over in the Castro called ImagiKnit.


You can click HERE and visit the web site.  
I took a snap of the shop as it was really bright with lovely yarn everywhere...

This is only the first part of the shop they are actually two shops that a doorway has been cut through - you can not really tell but the doorway is right at where those hats are on the left - you step down into another gigantic space of lovely yarns and knitting paraphernalia.  I picked up a brochure of the classes they offer - I am seriously contemplating taking up knitting or crochet as they offer classes in both.
__________

On Saturday we did the running around to the Thrift/Consignment shops - In the early afternoon we stopped off for a quick bite at Frjtz on Valencia Street.

You can click HERE to see some snaps and read their menu.  There they serve delicious crepes and Belgium fries.  We shared a couple of crepes - the Munch and the de Vinci and a large order of the delicious fries with dipping sauce.

This is the da Vinci crepe and fries.  From this light lunch we where on the way home and stopped off at Liberty Cafe for a loaf of their lovely bread.

As usual the had the case of goodies full of tempting treats.  You can click HERE to read about The Liberty Cafe.  You can also see through the case to the kitchen where one of the bakers was whipping up something tasty - I love it when you can actually see that what they sell is made where they sell it.

We hooked up with Martin for dinner at Patxi's Pizza.  You know I love me some of this pizza!!

We got one of the Chicago style meat pizza's and we got....


a regular Special Combo Pizza on flat crust - and it was just as delicious!!  
You can click HERE to see their web site.

Sunday Rico and I went to early Mass and Cissy did some walking about the neighborhood - we stayed in and watched movies during the afternoon and I made fried chicken for dinner - and - that was our weekend.
__________
It was lots of fun and could have gone on for many days more - but she had to get back to her "mama" life and I to mine.  But, there will be other visits!!
__________

I did have some questions about the tortilla press and what exactly it is - you use this gadget to make fresh tortillas.  They are available all over the place in the Mission for about $12/$15 but I was bound and determined to find an older more substantial one than the newer flimsy ones.  I have wanted to be able to make fresh tortillas for the longest time.  We go through many of them a week - and by making them myself it will cut the costs to just pennies per tortilla and fresh made are so much better than store bought!! You can click HERE to read a good basic recipe on how to make tortillas at home.  I can't wait to get a hold of some Masa Harina (corn flour) and get to pressing!!

There you go sports fans.  Thanks again for stopping by, do come again!!

Take care,
edgar



16 comments:

  1. Oooh Edgar go for crochet!!! You'll love it and it works up much quicker than knitting too. Lovely pics. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, I am SO hungry (for some reason) after reading this post. ;)

    But, I haven't eaten yet today so it was inevitable. :D

    I think the Medusa mural is my favorite--gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No fair, giving us all those food styley pics, didn't dare click on the links, lol! Glad you had a good time, agree with Hazel, crochet is Quickver!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds (and looks) like you had a great weekend with your sister...mmmm, and tasty too!

    Crochet is quicker in some ways, but I think knitting is much more versatile if you want to make garments. Either way, try it and get hooked :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your pics! My girls love sushi so I read out that bit to my older daughter. They're also into knitting & crochet. I'm not--but could seriously go crazy in that yarn store nevertheless! I'm glad that you had a good time with your sister. My youngest brother is one of my best friends and I miss him so much. I'm glad you guys got to spend time together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agh! I shouldn't have looked. I'm hungry and your post makes me want every kind of food you mentioned. lol! Love the pics of the knitting store. Yum! Cool mural too. So glad you had fun with your sister -- sounds like an ideal visit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow that pizza looks so yummy. Jim and I love that stuff. Its just the kind we like ..huge and full of yummy fixin's and cheese. All the food looks good.

    I think crochet is easier but the sweaters are all so nice in knit.Of course you could learn to do both!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so lucky having a knitting store like that to visit. I really think you would enjoy crochet Edgar. I knit (mainly small scale) but always wanted to be able to crochet. Well, I took my first ever crochet class last Sunday and I loved it. It's so different from knitting but it does work up more quickly. Think about what you want to make before you decide and then base your choice on that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you had a whirlwind of a weekend. I hope you and your sister had a wonderful visit together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sitting here with my mouth watering thinking of that Old Style Chicago pizza....a slice of heaven :)
    I've always been more of a fan of knitting...I think the quality of work looks better...(in my humble opinion)...Lately I've starting leaning more towards crocheting...especially the filet...just a different change of pace.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Edgar, What a great weekend. I have enjoyed reading all about it. Only one problem though, the pictures of that food has made me sooo hungry, and over here ( across the pond) it is only 4.30am!!!!
    I better have another coffee-LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The shops are nice. PIZZA, you always have nice pictures of the food. I am a foodie lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think that you should definitely try knitting or crocheting. Crocheting may be a good start - it's easy and very relaxing and it goes pretty fast!

    And I have to tell you that my stomach is just growling over all those fantastic pictures of food. I think that I'd have a hard time resisting any of it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, sounds like a great weekend. I'm glad you had a good visit with your sister. Can't wait to see your tortillas!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend with your sister. I'm called "Baby Sister" too. That started after the original True Grit came out. Congratulations on your 500+ followers and Carolyn is one lucky lady to receive that great box.

    ReplyDelete

It's Spring!!

Gentle Friends, a lovely variation of Vivaldis's first movement of Spring....  bright and cheerful........ ________________ The year mov...