Thursday, August 25, 2011

A Quick Movie Post

Gentle Readers and Dear Friends I have a quick post today - as not much is going on.  Still stitching away on the sampler -I'll get a snap when it looks a little better and more interesting.

I actually caught two films last night - the first film "The Man in the Middle" (the original title)- 1964 - or as it is know "The Winston Affair" - from the novel by Howard fast.  I Think it is probably Kennan Wynn's finest performance and one of Mitchum's finest most nuanced performances. 


  Set in India during the final days of WWII - Mitchum plays a defense lawyer who is basically told by his superiors that the trial he has been flown in for is a "formality" and that the defendant WILL be executed.  It is Mitchum's job to basically "Play ball" and get it over with - available on DVD this 93 minute film has a single flaw - the very stilted romance that sort of seems thrown in to have a pretty nurse played by France Nuyen in the cast.  A good solid movie that keeps you guessing up to the end.

The second film - another WWII flick -...  you know how I love those War films...  I caught as part of the Joan Blondell Day on TCM.  It is a film I had not seen before.  Based on the true story of the "Angles of Bataan" - the film last night is called "Cry Havoc" - 1943 - done very well by a great ensemble cast of actresses that include Fay Bainter, Ann Southern, Marsha Hunt, Margaret Sullavan and Ella Raines - Here is a good summation of the film......  "The Army nurses on Bataan need help badly, but when it arrives, it sure isn't what they expected. A motley crew, including a Southern belle, a waitress, and a stripper, show up. Many conflicts arise among these women who are thrown together in what is a desperate and ultimately hopeless situation.".....  although not as successful a film as "So Proudly we Hail" - 1943 - "Havoc" is a strong film about an important story of the woman who where fighting on the front lines during the War.

 A movie still form "Cry Havoc" - standing in the back is Fay Bainter - then from l to r is Ann Southern, Joan Blondell, Marsh Hunt with Margaret Sullavan in the front.  I really enjoyed this film and it is now available on DVDR from the WB Archive Collection.
__________

There you go sports fans.  Thanks for stopping by - do come again!

Take care,
edgar

3 comments:

  1. I am peeking my head out of time out to say "Thanks kiddo" for the movie reviews, they are now in my queue.
    I thank you for the note on my blog...you keep me sweet ;)
    I'll be back around soon as summer ends.

    XOXO
    Ma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great movie recommendations! I trust your taste and you always comment on strengths and weaknesses.

    ReplyDelete

“In every end, there is also a beginning.”

 Gentle Friends, I finished the sampler last night and here's a snaperooo... Village Square Sampler from Samplers Remembered   1/8 - 3/2...