Wednesday, August 12, 2015

A "Golden " Film.......

Gentle Friends, last night we watched a most wonderful film.... "Women in Gold" - 2015 - starring Helen Mirren, Ryan Reynolds, Daniel Bruhl and Katie Holmes.  The film is the truncated story of Maria Altmans fight to retrieve her families stolen property.  Basically paintings looted by the Nazis in 1938..... including one very famous painting.... called the Viennese "Mona Lisa"...


Portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer I (1907) Gustav Klimt

Told in flashbacks from the present (the mid 1990's - 2006) to the past (1920's - 38) you see through Maria's eyes her family living in Vienna and her living in southern California.  It's a powerful story of restitution and the determination of a single person to overcome gigantic odds.

When I visited Vienna in 2002 I saw the painting at the Belvedere Museum and it is spectacular.  If you don't know the story I won't ruin it for you, but I would HIGHLY recommend the film.  The weekends coming up, go rent it!!
_____________________

There you go sports fans, thanks for stopping by, do stop again!!

Take care,
edgar

12 comments:

  1. We watched this film recently and it is excellent! I join you in highly recommending it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John says he already has it : ) We haven't seen it yet though with all the moving stuff going on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree it's a beautiful painting as I was able to see it in 2006 at LACMA. Thanks for the review of the film - I definitely want to see it now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The painting and the film both intriguing...masterpiece status..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for reminding me of this one. I want to see it for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree. We watched the film a few weeks ago and thought it was very good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm, sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out. Thanks Edgar!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Watched this film a few weeks ago and it was absolutely fantastic!! Highly recommend it!! So glad to see you recommending it too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We watched this movie a few weeks ago. I agree it was wonderful. I would love to see the painting in person.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm taking this one home from the library to watch this weekend. How lucky you are to have seen the painting in person!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just had someone else recommend this film to me. I will have to seek it out.

    ReplyDelete

“In every end, there is also a beginning.”

 Gentle Friends, I finished the sampler last night and here's a snaperooo... Village Square Sampler from Samplers Remembered   1/8 - 3/2...